Honey & Walnut TartPosted: March 23, 2016
This is the first tart I ever made and it turned out so well! I got it from the National Trust cookbook and I wanted to share it – it is also made with my favourite ingredient – HONEY! It has been such a hit with friends and family that I am making my second one this week.
175g / 6oz plain flour
85g / 3oz butter
40g / 1.5oz icing sugar
2 tbsp water
For the filling:
85g / 3oz butter
100g / 3.5oz set honey
4 medium eggs
175g / 6oz demerara sugar
100g / 3.5oz walnut pieces
100g / 3.5oz roughly chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- Add the flour, butter and icing sugar together and rub the butter in until it is a mixture of fine crumbs.
- Gradually mix in the water to make a smooth dough.
- Lightly knead the pastry.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface until a little bigger than 23cm / 9 inch tart tin.
- Butter the tart tin.
- Press the pastry into the tin and trim above the top (this will allow for shrinkage).
- Prick the base.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C / gas mark 5 / 370 degrees F.
- Line the tart tin (which has the pastry in it) with baking paper and baking beans.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and the beans.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter over a low heat.
- Take the melted butter off the heat and add in the honey.
- Beat the eggs lightly in a separate bowl.
- Beat the eggs into the butter mixture.
- Add the sugar.
- Mix until smooth.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the base of the tart case.
- Pour the mixture over the nuts.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Leave to cool.
Cut into wedges and serve with thick cream, ice cream or crème fraiche. And of course it is also perfect with a cup of tea!